Being injured on the job can prove devastating, not only have you suffered an injury, you are unable to return to work and you will be concerned about your income. Although workers compensation is supposed to cover these eventualities, it is not unusual for employers or their insurers to withhold benefits that injured workers are entitled to by law. If you find yourself in this situation, you should consult with Chicago workers compensation lawyers.
You can represent yourself when:
- The injury was minor and there was no need for intensive medical care or hospitalization
- You did not lose any appreciable time at work
- Your employer accepts responsibility and admits it was a work place injury
Other than these conditions, it is always in your best interest to consult with Chicago workers compensation lawyers. There may be pitfalls that you are not aware of and it may be difficult for you to deal with though case yourself.
When you definitely need to hire a lawyer:
If you do have a case, do not attempt to represent yourself, your employer and the insurance company most certainly will be represented, if you attempt to settle without legal assistance you will be at a serious disadvantage.
- If your employer denies your claim: It is not unusual for a workers comp claim to be denied outright, insurance companies often resort to this tactic knowing from experience that may workers will not appeal. When you hire Chicago workers compensation lawyers there is a far better chance that you will be treated fairly and receive the proper settlement.
- The settlement is inadequate: If the settlement that you have been offered is not enough to cover your expenses do not think for a minute that the workers compensation judge will intervene on your behalf. If the settlement does not appear to be grossly unfair, the judge will invariably agree to it. To get the best settlement in situations like this, you need a seasoned lawyer on your side.
Hiring knowledgeable Chicago workers compensation lawyers will go a long way to tilting the scales in your favor. It is your future you are putting at risk, don’t do it.
If you have been injured at work and you are not getting the assistance you are entitled to, consider hiring Chicago workers compensation lawyers to intervene on your behalf. For a free case evaluation, you are welcome to contact the Shea Law Group. Like us on our facebook page.