Although bicyclists have the same rights as drivers to be on the open road, some drivers ignore the rights of bicyclists. When drivers are careless or negligent in their driving habits, they can inflict serious injuries on innocent bicyclists. When a person is seriously injured because of a driver, it is crucial for them to seek legal help from a bicycle accident lawyer in New London, CT. Meeting with a lawyer allows a victim to learn the information they will need to successfully pursue their injury claim.
There are a few methods that can be used to settle a bicycle injury claim.
• A settlement may be offered when a letter of demand is sent to the one who caused the accident.
• Settlements can be reached through the insurance company of the victim and of the driver who caused the accident.
• Mediation meetings may be held to determine whether or not a settlement can be reached in a claim. These sometimes help parties to avoid court.
• Arbitration is sometimes used to allow the parties to avoid court. This is generally overseen by a lawyer or judge who makes the decision.
• A settlement can be reached anytime during the process up to the moment before the judge or jury returns a verdict.
When a victim hires a bicycle accident lawyer in New London, CT, they need to make sure they provide all of the facts of the case. Any evidence the victim has should be turned over so the attorney can begin formulating the case in the event it ends up going to court.
When a victim agrees to settle, they sign documents agreeing that they will not pursue a lawsuit. Once a victim settles, they no longer have any legal right to pursue compensation, so it is imperative a victim makes a sound decision on the settlement.
Those who have been involved in serious bicycle accidents that were not their fault are urged to browse the website of the Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck and Scott D. Camassar, LLC. They will be happy to help victims pursue compensation from those who caused the injuries. Call the office today if you would like to schedule a consultation.