When warmer weather arrives, people naturally want to enjoy the great outdoors. Boat owners are anxious to get out on the water, and plans are made quickly. For some, those plans include stocking the bar, as drinking and boating go together for many people. However, someone still has to operate the boat. Read on to learn about boating under the influence and how a personal injury attorney in South Bay, CA can help those who’ve been injured by intoxicated boaters.
It’s Not Okay to Drink and Operate a Boat
Most people would never think of driving a car after a few drinks, but some have no issue with doing the same thing on a boat. Many people fail to realize that drinking and operating a boat isn’t just dangerous but illegal. Consider the following facts about drinking and boating.
- It’s possible to get a DUI, sometimes called a BUI, while on a boat. The BAC limit of .08 applies to all vehicles whether they’re in the water or on land.
- A person may be arrested for BUI even if they’re in a kayak or a canoe.
- Law enforcement officers everywhere are taking steps to find and apprehend intoxicated boaters.
- While roads have guide lines to help drivers stay in their lane, the ocean does not.
- Though most people think of their boats as big toys, they certainly aren’t. A boat is a vehicle that requires attention and concentration to operate safely.
- Don’t believe it’s possible to do drugs on a boat and face no consequences. The rules on operating under the influence apply equally on land and water.
Consult an Injury Attorney Today
Now that boaters have learned the truth about operating a vessel under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they can easily figure out how to safely enjoy themselves on the water. The issue is that others may not be as responsible and diligent. If there’s a boating accident involving an intoxicated operator, a victim may have the opportunity to receive compensation for their financial losses. Call Shook & Associates Inc today to request a consultation with a personal injury attorney in South Bay, CA.